Following stroke, some people have fits or seizures.
This happens because the stroke has injured your brain tissue. Sometimes this causes increases electrical activity in your brain. This causes a fit.
Fits can take different forms:
- Some people seem to 'close down' for a moment but recover almost immediately.
- Some find a part of their body or their whole body starts to shake uncontrollably.
- Some lose consciousness and fall down.
After a fit, you may feel confused. You may need to sleep. Talking may be even more difficult.
Having a fit can be a frightening experience.
It can be alarming to see someone having a fit.
What to do if you have a fit:
- Someone should make sure you are in a safe place.
- They should make sure you're lying on your side and stay with you.
- Nothing should be put in your mouth.
- Let your doctor know.
If you have several fits, this is called epilepsy.
If you have fits...
"Make sure a fireguard protects you from falling on a fire."
- Make sure a fireguard protects you from falling on a fire.
- If you take a bath or go swimming make sure someone is around.
- If you have epilepsy, you're not allowed to drive. You must inform the DVLA if you have had any fits: (01792) 783 686.
If you have a lot of fits you may need to take medication to bring them under control.
Treatment for fits (epilepsy)
If you have a lot of fits after a stroke, you will be prescribed some medication.
Medications which control fits are called anti-convulsants.
- It might take a while to find the kind of medication and the dosage which is most suitable for you.
- Some medications have side-effects. If you get a lot of side-effects you may want to try another kind of medication.
Getting more help
- Can change or reduce your medication if you experience side effects.
- Can make regular checks on how you are managing with your medication.
- May want to refer you to a specialist.
- Produces information about fits and epilepsy.
- Can give practical advice.
- Can put you in touch with local contacts and self-help groups.
(0808) 800 5050
New Anstey House
Gate Way Drive
Leeds LS19 7XY