Some people use communication aids to help them get their message across.
Some communication aids are simple, some sophisticated.
Some communication aids
'Yes' and 'no' cards
Pictures and symbols
Communicator - a mini-typewriter with an electronic display and printout
Press a picture, and the machine says a word
Communication aids may not help, especially if you have difficulty reading, writing or finding words.
Getting more help
Speech and language therapist
- Can discuss whether a particular communication aid would suit you
- Can put you in touch with a Communication Aids Centre
- Can show you ways of making your speech clearer and getting your message across.
- Has a factsheet on computers and Communication Aids Centres
(020) 7261 9572
1 Royal St
London SE1 7LL
Communication Aids Centres
- Several throughout the UK
- Work out whether a communication aid would help
- Offer advice on communication aids
- Loan out communication aids for trial period.
See your speech and language therapist